Monday, August 26, 2019

Disney and Rethinking Fat

I found this article (link below) about who decided it was bad to be fat. It had me thinking about the things I've learned, regarding people's weight, throughout history and in various cultures. I understand that many ideas change over time, due to more knowledge, but when I was younger, I remember so many people who were overweight and I never heard any negativity about it... until around my mid-teen years. Then I became more aware of the body shaming, jokes, or cautious health warnings, which became part of our Western culture. Before then, being a Navy brat, traveling to various places and seeing various sizes of people was just part of life.

In fact, I remember a lot of famous overweight people from my youth. For instance, Hoss from Bonanza, Jackie Gleason, Oliver Hardy, Raymond Burr, the opera singer Beverly Sills, or singers like Mama Cass and Kate Smith. Or, even cartoon characters like Fred Flintstone and Pete (Mickey Mouse), as well as historical people of royalty, like King Henry VIII or some of the Hawaiian Queens and Kings. And, of course, there are Peter Paul Ruben's famous paintings, which include his very "full-figured" women. I also had numerous family and friends, of various ages, who were overweight. I even remember talking about "starving actors" putting on some weight after they were on a television series for a few years... they were, obviously, eating better.  

As you can see, being overweight isn't a current culture phenomenon, as some Internet sites are indicating. Throughout history, various sizes of overweight people have existed everywhere and in every culture. Maybe we're noticing things more because there are more people on this planet and the Internet has made our world much smaller. But, even before the Internet, I started hearing about people being overweight, or underweight, as unhealthy. I've since learned that this isn't always the case. That's the thing about science, facts can change. An overweight person doesn't mean an unhealthy person. Besides, that's between them and their physicians.

Of course, I don't agree with certain cultures promoting obesity, but I understand they thought it was important. I read about people, around the world, who considered their women being fat was a sign of wealth. They fattened them up on purpose. There was no stigma either. Even in China, fat signified good fortune and wealth... hence the chubby and happy Buddha. 

Also, there was the Disney movie, Wall-E, that gave us a little warning on how the path of least resistance, and living the good life, can lead to being overweight. But, what was nice, even though it had a subliminal message of unhealthy living, I don't recall fat shaming. Of course, why would Disney do that anyway? They would understand that it's not just culture programing that's involved. Being overweight can also come about for many reasons. And, after all, besides Pete, they have created many, many fat characters. 

Hmmm... maybe all those various Disney characters was another subliminal message. If so, than thank you Disney for reminding us that humanity is not homogenized, regardless of culture, regardless of being rich or poor, and that we each have our attributes no matter what size or shape.

------

"Who Decided It Was Bad to Be Fat?" https://www.sapiens.org/column/curiosities/fat-acceptance/





No comments:

Post a Comment