Friday, May 24, 2024

All Else Is Madness

I've always appreciated this quote from Eckhart Tolle because complaining is in our nature to do. It's to point out a disappointing situation that we want to change. But I've learned that complaints may never change a situation unless we know how to achieve a positive outcome. 

For one, we can do this by using empathy to promote compassion, but we should be prepared to share how a situation should be changed by suggesting a solution. 

I learned this back in the 70s when an employer asked me - "well, what are you going to do about it?" - when I came into his office with a complaint. It took me by surprise but, many years later, it made me realize that he was preventing me from being a victim. By being involved with a solution to a problem, he was empowering me. 

Also, through lifetime observations, I've learned that people tend to shut down from listening when the complaints are in a negative format with no solutions presented... as in riots/protests/bullies. You know that saying... talk to the hand. 

However, if the empathy and solution sharing doesn't create the change we require, than it's time to realize that it wasn't meant to be. We only have two things left to do... accept or leave the situation. Because, truly, all else is madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment