Monday, May 13, 2013

Birthday at Chincoteague and Assateague Islands - With A Few Pictures

Chincoteague and Assateague Islands - Birthday and Mother's Day Trip
 
Sixty-five years ago today, my mom and dad were living in Chincoteague, Virginia. I was born and lived there until around two years of age, after another sibling was born. This was the place that was made famous by the story called, "Misty of Chincoteague."

My Dad was in the Navy and had been station at Wallops Island Naval Air Station across the bridge from Chincoteague.  I believe I was actually born on the base because there was no hospital on the island ... still isn't one there today.

Mom said we lived on Main Street but my dad said he couldn't recognize where the house was anymore; when he went there to visit a few years ago. Things had changed so much. I still don't know the address and I don't recall him remembering it either.

Anyway, as a special birthday present, and since Mother's Day was the day before this year, my hubby agreed to a visit there for my birthday. I had only been back twice since living there, once for a July week in the mid 80's with my sister who was born there too; it was for their annual pony swim. The other time was a little over ten years ago just for an overnight stay in late December, with my husband, after visiting my youngest daughter in Maryland. I felt I was due for another visit, so why not for such a special occasion? 

Also because my husband needed to see it when it was more lively. December is like a ghost town compared to the summer, however May is only slightly better then December, because as I said, it gets busy more in the summer months when the weather is warmer for swimming.

Even though it was chilly and breezy for the middle of May, we've enjoyed our couple of days stay. We toured around the entire island several times (it's fairly small) and made a few trips over the bridge toward the Atlantic Ocean to visit Assateague Island National Seashore. I have a Senior National Park Pass, so it was free to enter as often as we wished; one of the perks of being a senior. ;)

Yes, I found out, as my dad did, a lot of things have changed over the years. I discovered during this visit that they moved the bridge coming onto Chincoteague Island a couple of years ago. It now comes into Maddox Blvd., which is further down from the Roxy Theater; where it has been near long before I was born. I was a little disappointed but I understood their reason for doing it this way. 

The main thing was that I got to see the ponies and other wildlife on both islands. It was too cold to swim but a walk on the beach was invigorating. Another downside was that the lighthouse was closed for repairs and I couldn't take any nature walks due to the many mosquitoes, however the upside was that the servers at the local restaurants and shops, some that were born and raised in Chincoteague, had more time to chit chat.

I know this isn't my normal type of blog but I hope you like the change of pace. I've taken tons of pictures which makes it difficult to decide what to share, yet I hope you enjoy the ones I did. :)

Mother's Day

On Assateague Island Beach - Mother's Day


 
Close up of the ponies on Assateague

 
 
Hubby and I on Assatesague - Mother's Day
 

Standing in front of their only theater in Chincoteague. Google it to see really old pictures.


 

Sunset in Chincoteague
 
 
 
Birthday
  
 Visiting ponies that are penned on Chincoteague 
 
 
 
 
Ron messing around at NASA on Wallop Island
 


Finally saw a deer - almost didn't
 
 
 
Taking one more nature drive on Assateague before heading back to Chincoteague
 
 

More marsh land on Assateague
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Very lovely, all the scenery and memories, Charlene. I'm glad you were able to return on such an important date to visit and rekindle these feelings.

    All those ponies look very happy, too! :)
    I didn't think there would be so many of them in one area. Cute!

    Happy Birthday/ Mother's Day. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was great to go back and see all the changes. Nice to know that one thing won't change and that's the ponies ... hopefully. :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice photos, especially the sunset one, and great memories to write about. Enjoyed it very much. :)

    ReplyDelete