Monday, April 11, 2016

Transformation: Nanny McPhee

I love this movie quote from Nanny McPhee: "There is something you should understand about the way I work. When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go. It's rather sad, really, but there it is."

I also love how she shows up looking like a hag. As the children learn their lessons from her, she becomes prettier with each lesson learned. It's as if their heart ugliness is represented by her looks. When they start behaving, learning the lessons she gives them, she becomes more beautiful, mirroring the children's transformation.

It's a riddle that makes sense. The children are horrid - so she must stay. They've learned their lessons - so she must go. Transformation is complete. No need to stay around. Off to others who need transformation.

This was what my metaphysical teachers taught me many years ago: "As in any teaching situation, we teach, we see your transformation, and then we (teachers/students) move on."

Because our hearts have been opened; we've learned our lessons.

As Nanny McPhee said, "It's rather sad, really, but there it is."

No comments:

Post a Comment