Thursday, April 28, 2016

Virus: Not Verifying Before Sharing

We have a serious virus running rampant on social media. It's called sharing before verifying facts or truth. This has me, ocassionally, sharing information with people, if I see a meme or fake news site that's been posted, which needs more input or disputing. I've seen others do this too. It, normally, only takes a few minutes of research to gather facts but maybe the virus makes it too difficult to think. What I find even more appalling is the effect of said virus when the presented information is completely ignore by some. Maybe it wasn't important enough to read because the lie was more important. Another side effect?

I think this virus makes people overly sensitive too. I don't do a rebuttal to be harsh, to ridicule, or even deliberately offend anyone (which is what I've "heard"), but only to help keep the record straight, if possible. If this offends anyone, please do some self analysis on why, because I'm really surprised there aren't more people "verifying before sharing." Particularly due to the amount of fake stuff that we've been inundated with over the years. 

With more and more people knowing there are lies being perpetuated everyday, I'm surprise over this lack of interest, especially due to the destructive nature it can create. For instance, even if I don't like a person, that's being lied about through a fake meme, I still feel it's more important to correct the lie by sharing whatever truthful facts I can find. I'm not referring to things that are created for good-natured levity but those that are deliberate lies for cruel intent. 

Furthermore, this virus is causing some people to be duped over unsubstantiated conspiracies, faux or satire news, and bias hearsay, because of not taking the time to verify through credible sources. Worse are the people being destroyed over Internet defamation due to those effected by this insidious virus. It is also wearing down the fact finders. Lately, I've been reading comments stating that people shouldn't have to do this research for another. Sadly, I too am beginning to feel the same. Often, I bypass a post and tell myself: don't bother. Yet, the only reason I feel that I persevere is due to wanting my grandchildren to grow up in a better world - a mentally healthy world - a world of more love and less fear. 

Furthermore, virus or not, it's still a form of bullying. Young people have committed suicide because of hateful, lying, social media posts about them, which have been indiscriminately shared by others. Lies seem to run through the Internet like a wildfire feeding off of the negativity. Among other things, politics and religion tends to show the ugly in people too. Another side effect?

The power of thought is very real - negative or positive. Kill the virus. Don't be hasty in sharing something, especially about another person, before checking the facts. After all, there are "young ones" who rely on someone being a mature adult who will save them from this nasty virus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment