Monday, November 19, 2012

A Chimera (then and now)

I often say that people have had a wild and creative imagination throughout history.

An example of this would be in the mythological creature called a Chimera, which, according to Greek mythology, is a monstrous fire-breathing female creature that is composed of the parts of three animals: a lion, a serpent and a goat. It was depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat arising from its back, and a tail that ended in a snake's head.

However the imagination of the human mind has no boundaries, for if you Google the word Chimera and look at all the art on the Internet you will see what I mean. The variations of the same "creature" are amazing.

Makes me wonder about the artists of those yesteryears and who and where they are today. Hmmmm ....

It also makes me wonder what mind altering substances they could have been on, or mind attack they could have been under, to develop what they "imagined."

Were these creatures a figment of a creative imagination or real in a subjective mind? Seems like history is repeating itself again ... and again.




2 comments:

  1. Same thing with dragons and other mythological creatures.

    I used to believe there were dragons or similar things when I was a child(not too long ago), and I always questioned myself 'How do these creatures live?' Of course, after watching your videos I found out other beings can affect your mind and make you think what you want to believe.

    It would still be nice to look back at your childhood, with those mystical companions in your mind.

    Time to grow up, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a fantasy creature, or two, in our lives ... that we know and accept as fantasy. I enjoy the Santa stories but I know they have seriously morphed into what we have today, far from what he started out as. That should be a clue because the truth is the truth and cannot change no matter how much we will it. However I like the feeling of joy that Santa brings those that want to believe in what he represents but, yes, one day we grow up and realize he is a figment of our wonderful imaginations. Yet, if anyone is like my sister, when she found out Santa wasn't real, she could care less as long as she still got gifts. ;)

      Delete