Saturday, January 11, 2014

Divine Guidance?

I see posts, like this picture on my blog, about only surrounding yourself with people who will bring out the best in you and I'm reminded of one of the many times in my life that I didn't.
 
Once, when I was sixteen, my mom was concerned about a girl I was hanging around and thinking she could be a bad influence on me. When she told me her feelings, I said: Mom don't be worried. You raised me right. Have faith that I won't be corrupted. Maybe I'm supposed to be around to influence her. How can I help her if I'm not around her?
 
She agreed and I was allowed to continue on with our friendship.
 
Reflecting back on that moment makes me wonder what or who guided me to say those words. Was this what was meant by divine guidance?
 
She and I became good friends and much later I was able to help her during several difficult times in her life.
 
We eventually grew up and apart, yet this helped me understand that people may come and go in our lives to either help us or us to help them. It's all part of life and growing mentally and emotionally.
Many times, during my school years, I use to lament about making friends and then having to leave them, because being a service brat kept us from being in one place for more than a couple of years. I realize now it broadened my view on life.
 
Was this too part of divine guidance? I really believe so.
 
Sure, there are times we desire harmony, and rightfully so, however if we only surround ourselves with similar people will we really grow from it? Or will we become complacent or stale?
Do you know why you're in someone's life or they're in yours? What's the reason or reasons? Harmony can be created with knowing. Maybe the discord is because we don't want to know and because we may have to change something within us. 
 
How do you think divine guidance works? By using us? By putting something in our life over and over again until we get it? Or by possibly utilizing someone's awareness to help others even if that means walking into a lion's den?  Wouldn't it be smarter of us to be able to help another and avoid the controversies too?
 
Could it be that those that are trying to bring us down are actually bringing the best out in us ... or what we need to know more about ourselves?
 
What do you think?

 

2 comments: