Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Determinism versus Free Will

Five years ago, I shared a joke about determinism versus free will. A friend, Janelle, decided to weigh in on it and this was the conversation that ensued.
 
----------
Janelle: When I look at the Universe, my life, and those around me, to see it predetermined all the way through, no stops or breaks, no change of the flow, I feel like asking: then why bother incarnating? It doesn't make sense to me to have an experience if it's predetermined to a point we can ask, "well what's going to happen to me?" and we receive and answer for every slight, minute detail. I wouldn't want to live life that way. There's no learning experience in being given every answer. However, as far as a life time concerned, it's organized to have some direction. And I realize that doesn't mean that things can't change, they can. So maybe it's a bit a both. But, I agree, people should not slip into the idea that it's their DNA or something controlling them to a point where they cannot control themselves.
 
Me: I believe it's balance within too, Janelle, as well as without. It's an interaction of all things to keep us moving and growing either here, out there, or elsewhere. Even a river can be blocked, so we can, obviously, have moments of stagnation. Kind of like taking a rest or break from working.
 
Janelle: Indeed. If we didn't have a break, we'd be exhausted. 
 
Me: Absolutely.
----------

When I started teaching metaphysics, 30 years ago, I thought what might help explain determinism was our soul incarnating with all its prior programming. That soul DNA, along with our current physical DNA, is what we're "born with" - pre-determined. But, God's gift of free will helps us maintain or rewrite that soul/physical programming, in a new life, with our choices. The "collective" free will of cultural, social, and religious indoctrinations all help to influence our decisions.
 
Taking on the task of making over 300 soul beginning videos, on my Atomarane YouTube channel, proved it to me. Some have more deeply programmed souls than others - for numerous reasons. Also, I discovered that no one stayed completely in their beginning influences; they evolved.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment