Monday, May 30, 2016

Does God Help Those Who Help Themselves?

Does God help those who help themselves? As one of my friends, Janelle, said: "Laziness does not prosper." I agree. Why should laziness be rewarded? Why should God, or our guidance, do the work for us?

I found this answer and thought I'd share it: "Apart from salvation, there is perhaps a way that the concept "God helps those who help themselves" is correct. As an example, if you asked me to help you move a piece of furniture, but then just watched me as I moved the furniture for you, I was not actually helping you. I would be doing the work for you. Many Christians fall into the trap of inactivity. Many Christians ask God for help, but then expect God to do everything Himself. They excuse this by pointing to the fact that God will provide according to His will and in His timing. However, this is not a reason for inactivity. As a specific example, if you are in need of a job, ask the Lord to help you find a job - but then be active in actually looking for a job. While it is in His power to do so, it is highly unlikely that God will cause employers to come looking for you!" -  http://gotquestions.org/

Many times, I felt I had helped myself but faced many difficulties in getting what I was working so hard to achieve. I remember a few times that I was inactive and said, "forget it, if it was meant to be it would be." So, I feel, God did bring a few things to me. Why? Maybe He knew I had done all I could, with the adversity at hand, and it was time for someone to step in and help. In other words, my constant pushing forward, yet feeling overwhelmed and giving up, was finally noted and a hand was offered.

That hand isn't always invisible either. It could be a job offer through a friend, an offer to babysit, an offer to help you move, or clean your house because you're ill. Sometimes, it's just a hug or a shoulder to cry on. There are many things that we don't often consider. Also, not all will heed the call to help because they're not meant to; they may even get in the way. Furthermore, it may take time for the right one to show up. I've learned to be patient but keep doing my best to help myself. That's the most important thing.

It's important to keep putting our thoughts out into the universe but just as important to wait our turn. Eventually, we may look back and realize the many times that this "hand" had been offered due to our diligence. I, also, feel it's okay to ask if it's time yet, but don't always expect a yes. I have this mental imagine of a child asking a parent: are we there, yet? How many times will the child hear no before hearing yes? Also, if the parent didn't continue driving, the child would never get a yes. In addition, if the child hadn't been persistent in asking, would the parent have had the added incentive to complete the journey? As they say: God does work in mysterious ways. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment