Monday, May 23, 2016

Oil Wells and Pumps are an Eyesore?

I think there are times where people protest about a topic but use an illogical way to do it. This particular topic is about roadside oil wells or pumps being an eyesore. I feel, they're actually against the product more than the equipment, but they think they're using the equipment as leverage.

I do know, based on my road trips in America, that there are some states that appease people by camouflaging them, and some states haven't. On my recent road trip, I noted many areas that did both. But, here's the point I wish to make. Why use that as a reason, when there are many eyesores along highways in America. 

Let's start with the first one people may have complained about in history. How about telegraph lines? Later, we added telephone and electric lines, which dotted our landscaping, just to help make our lives easier. Then we had, and still have, all the billboards and road signage everywhere. Today, we see city water towers, fields of wind turbines, and huge cell towers. I see businesses with heavy duty equipment, farmers with silos, abandoned farmhouses along the highways, among many other things that can be seen as an eyesore.

My point: why protest about one thing and not the others? Especially, when most of these represent technology to assist or improve our lives. See? It's illogical. As my dad used to say: "say what you mean and mean what you say." Are these anymore an eyesore than other things?

This blog picture is a collage of several pictures I took within a few hours on my recent road trip. That's not nearly the things I saw that could be considered as eyesore, but, hopefully, it will do to prove my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment