Sunday, July 10, 2016

White Privilege: Walk A Mile In My Shoes

This is something I posted on a friend's status update regarding white privilege and how whites can be classified as such. I wanted to state my case after reading the conversation that ensued. Just as not all blacks are thugs, not all whites are privileged. I'm sure many feel these generalizations are ridiculous.
----------

A very interesting conversation.

I can attest to discrimination growing up being a Navy brat in a large family and being looked down on as poor white trash.

In the hierarchy of life, I grew up learning that it was white men, black men, white women and last black women. I learned eventually that even Latino men were a step above white women. However, we have spent a long time knocking down barriers - barriers that I chose to help knock down. Not just for me but for our future generations as our ancestors did for us.

Now, because of all those walls we have knocked down, we have generations of butt-hurt, bad attitude people. Instead, we should be reveling in our victories and rejoicing in our accomplishments, instead of having to be on the defense by those who chose to have bad attitudes because they didn't or couldn't accomplish as much as they wanted.

Everyone fails. It's part of life. I too have failed often. I too have been kicked down often. I too have been discriminated against often. But I chose to change direction or keep pushing towards my dreams. I learned that if I concentrated more on what I wanted, instead of whining about what I didn't get or others got, I had no time for anything else. Even though I saw people promoted above me because it was a black man, or a Spanish women, who got a job, even though I was more qualified, I just sucked it up and moved on. I even join the Navy so I could get 15 extra points on State jobs exams. Silly huh? I did everything I could but still kept feeling held back. But, instead of going on a killing spree, or blaming the world, I developed a motto: it wasn't meant to be.

I decided I must be on the wrong path and crying over my plight in a corner wasn't going to help me find it. Having an attitude is important - the right attitude. Too often I see adults who don't want to grow up. They want the world to take care of them. They want handouts. They don't want to work. They think everyone owes them a living. They've lost all self respect for themselves and others. They can't see the problem is them because it's everyone else's fault. 

As far as that video, (If whites would be black knowing how they're treated?) even knowing the physical and mental attacks I've had, I still prefer to be me. It made me who I am today. The statement was too broad to make sense. Too many variables. Which black? Oprah black? Michael Jordan black? Drug addict black? Black scientist? Black doctors or black thugs? There have been studies done where people have been asked if they could do their life over, would they? Even the ones who were recovering addicts, of various nature, often said they would still be the same because it made them who they are today.

So maybe the real answer is for everyone to stop pointing fingers, except the blame within them (empowerment) and let's all realize not everything or everyone is perfect (or blessed), and move on. Personally, if someone did walk in my shoes, they would be taking them off and throwing them back at me. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment