Friday, October 4, 2013

Melatonin: My Pineal Gland is Shrinking?


Quote: "Age and aging: the pineal gland is large in children but shrinks at puberty and has diminished activity in the elderly."

I had a brief chuckle while reading that part of the article (link below) as I had a image in my mind of the witch on The Wizard of Oz when she says, "I'm melting!" At least, based on this medical report my pineal gland is ... well, shrinking not melting. I'm weird, I know, but my humor during stress is my safety mechanism. It helps me when my mind is also saying ... what the heck next?!
 
Quote: "Melatonin inhibits human cancer cell growth in cultures, has been shown to exert oncostatic activity by antiproliferative actions, stimulation of anticancer immunity, modulation of oncogene expression and anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-angiogenic activity."

Wow! I always say that I learn something new every day. I never knew that the lack of melatonin could create so many issues in people.

Anyway, to continue, this is a medical study regarding the pineal gland and it's effects on insomnia, jet lag, seasonal disorders, mental and/or physical disease including chronic pain, among other issues, with the reduction of melatonin and pineal gland shrinkage due to age or damage.

It's a interesting article and doesn't take long to read for anyone interested.

Hmmm ... I just had another thought. Maybe that's a reason the witch on Oz was such a meany. Insomnia can make anyone feel like they're having a bad day, especially if it's causing medical issues too.

Pineal gland and circadian rhythm.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/pineal-gland-and-circadian-rhythms
 
As always, please do your research on anything you read from anyone. 

Wikipedia: this offers more on the pineal gland and melatonin; also the pineal gland calcification. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment