Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Second Chances: Pete Rose

I was watching Pete Rose's reality tv show and, so far, it is "real" and a little funny. Love his fiance.

Love Pete Rose too. Met him years ago (over 40 years ago) in person when I had to serve breakfast one morning to the Cincinnati Reds at the hotel where I worked. He saved my hurt feelings by giving me a big tip after breakfast one morning (long story that involves Johnny Bench being a royal pain in the ass over his breakfast I was serving) along with a small pep talk and a pat on the shoulder. He didn't have to do that. He could have had a big ego too, but chose to take me aside and let me know all was well.

He was one hell of a baseball player. He got a harsh penalty back in the late eighties (then decisions made in the early nineties) - too harsh. I felt that way then and I still do. Sure he screwed up - big time. Everyone makes mistakes and some more so then others - we are all human. Life doesn't always deal the best of hands and it's difficult to improve without help and support.

Isn't that what we, as a civilize society, have learned? Everyone should be allowed a second chance to redeem themselves? At least a second chance, but maybe not third or fourth; even though I have allowed second, third and fourth to family and friends because I know we can only do what we have within us to do.

However, that doesn't mean we cannot learn - even a old dog can learn new tricks - yet I've learned that there is a difference, because some don't want to change. Knowing the difference can save you heartache. It took me awhile to accept that fact and now with all of what I know today I can move on and away faster.

To continue, I don't think I have ever felt anything but remorse and regret with Pete Rose, albeit a few feelings from him of a "protective edge" he's developed due to the cards he was dealt and his now bigger ego being busted. Yes, I am an empathic psychic - so I would sense those feelings - read them like a book.

"A man thinks in his heart and so he is." I admire a person who turns their life around from negative circumstances instead of succumbing to it.

What gets me is our society's double standards. Why do actors get oscars with the skeletons they have in their closets that have been exposed to the public, but baseball players that are "chastised" for doing a wrong are barred from the sport and later the baseball hall of fame - forever?

The punishment seems to outweigh the crime. It kind of reminds me of those who cut off the hand of someone who steals. Ouch! Yet, isn't this the same thing? Was a life taken? Then why is a life (his life) taken?

My children know I don't reward bad behavior. Please don't get me wrong, I am a strict disciplinarian, but I don't believe in eternal punishment. I see a wrong and choose to right it by having a mutual understanding. Show remorse, clean up your act and lets move on. If you don't choose to - then just move on. We don't need to be a part of each other's life if we are being like oil and water; not mixing. However, people need hope for survival. Eternal punishment does not allow hope.

Now, I will not talk about heinous crimes, that is another topic for another time. What I have learned about this would take awhile and tons of controversy.

Continuing onward, one thing I used to tell my kids about rules is that the rules I make will not be broken, but I'm flexible enough to bend them if need be. Bending or being flexible would be based on weighing everything from everyone's feelings at that moment. I feel enough moments have passed for Pete Rose and collective thought is in his favor - maybe always has been.

As Jesus taught: He who is without sin cast the first stone. Native Americans teach: Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge someone.

Does the punishment of never being in the baseball hall of fame really fit the crime? Something that's determined after an initial punishment? Wouldn't that be like me telling my children you are grounded for disobeying and then adding more punishment to it whenever I saw fit?

To me, that's eternal punishment.




Picture from Wikipedia:

No comments:

Post a Comment