Thursday, January 17, 2013

Uncluttering: Facebook and Ourselves


Is Facebook losing it's original meaning? That is: keeping in touch and offering support, advice, or an occasional rant between family and friends.

Has it become a somewhat faceless business of promoting self or mucked up with nonsensical trivia and games or worse... bashing behind a page to protect oneself against doing something they wouldn't do or say to another's face because retaliation could be severe?

Or just another excuse to add on to one's life that... I'm too busy?

The reason I mention this is because I have been getting messages off the universe for some time that people put comments on Facebook for others to read (and some barely do) but they are not taking the time in reading anyone else's comments. They do not have to comment or like a status - that is not what was said - because sometimes, no matter what we say or offer will never be good enough. There are times where people are just ranting and no amount of advice or suggestions will work. I go with the thought: if they are not asking don't give or give little. My/their two cents has blown up in my face only a few times, albeit more for the best, as it lets me know who needs to be part of my life or not.

However, to continue, those around us that are more enlightened/aware here on earth have other ways of handling a crisis without saying a word, yet how will those around us know anything, if we are too self-absorbed and those "around" us are too self-absorbed in us?

I can see their perplexity in this: are we just being a bulletin board of our own trivia (ego) or a community of sharing and caring of ideas and support. I am constantly reminded to take time to scan the thoughts of others and guided to comment whenever necessary... as if it's a gentle reminder for me to keep it real within me and don't get too big for my britches. We seem to be sharing a lot of trivia and not more meaningful moments to help one another. Maybe they feel we are allowing more destruction and less construction.

I even had someone come to me today and ask me if I would consider not reading some things they feel are trivia: as if I am wasting my time in another's ego, of posting said trivia, while there are those that care more about receiving as well as giving. I feel those that are guided to read this entire blog will know what they mean.

I also was told, if their lifestyle is that busy (wrapped up into themselves) then maybe they need to consider why that is. Are they reaping what they are sowing? Is what they are doing that important that they cannot see what is going on around them? How will they know these answers to their questions being so self-absorbed? Self absorbed can also mean: are they investing so much time in helping others, due to their ego (yes, that's what they said), that their own light dims because of it?

I think this Sandy School massacre has stirred up the question of why we are too busy to see signs or why are we ignoring signs that are right under our noses... because of being "too busy"? How can we see signs or play on them if we are too much into ourselves or not observing? Is that really why we came back... to be like this? I think that is the question presented to me today.

No, I am not without fault either, and it's not just about Facebook, but any social media which can consume one's time like a new drug on the block. Is it time for reflection, re-evaluation, and possibly uncluttering time? Only you can answer this for yourself.

Is it really wasting people's lives?



2 comments:

  1. as long as you know what youre doing, and dont actually RELY upon social media for real interaction and development - I see no harm. But then there are those who choose to think their every word, photo, or whatever is SO important that they must share to be validated.
    Wait - validation - that might be the "key"

    ReplyDelete