Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Was Jesus A Vegetarian?


Sometimes, the things I read on the Internet or see on TV makes me go - hmmm. As in ... this doesn't feel right. As in ... this is not adding up. As in ... don't believe this until you investigate further.

I saw where Dr Oz was trying to prove on a recent TV show, that people were designed not to eat meat. This was based on today's human jaw function and teeth, however, haven't we morphed into who we are today from millions of years ago? Who is to say what or why our design was to do back then ... long before Jesus? Hmmmm...

I would not dispute that a "diet and exercise" of that time period would be considered healthier in today's standards, however I feel concerns of death from other sources may have been ever present, in their minds, to be concerned with diet or exercise.

Anyway, in receiving some doubt off the universe, I was guided once again to do research and I found this website with a nice response to someone's question on it and thought I'd share it.

It pretty much sums up what I heard from God many years ago. He said - "do whatever makes you happy and do it in moderation." When I asked further, my reply was that I would reap what I judged. Not what He judged but what I did. Hmmmm....

I realize that I don't live in this world alone and judgements of many things are running rampant. It only goes to say then: whose judgements will control me and my thoughts? What will I believe in and will collective thought be in charge of right and wrong when it comes to what I believe and how strongly I believe?

Isn't that what our past prophets taught ... or tried to ... believing certain things without judging?

Seems difficult right? Until someone comes along to show the way. This is why I think I felt doubt, because if Jesus fed the multitude fish, would he do that if he believed in being a vegetarian, without judging himself for it?

It made me think and it made me question, which had me seeking. This article is what I found and it resonated with me, but it will still be up to you to decide or not.

_________

Answer: Jesus was not a vegetarian. The Bible records Jesus eating fish (Luke 24:42-43) and lamb (Luke 22:8-15). Jesus miraculously fed the crowds fish and bread, a strange thing for Him to do if He was a vegetarian (Matthew 14:17-21). In a vision to the apostle Peter, Jesus declared all foods to be clean, including animals (Acts 10:10-15). After the flood in Noah's time, God gave humanity permission to eat meat (Genesis 9:2-3). God has never rescinded this permission.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with a Christian being a vegetarian. The Bible does not command us to eat meat. There is nothing wrong with abstaining from eating meat. What the Bible does say is that we should not force our convictions about this issue on other people or judge them by what they eat or do not eat. Romans 14:2-3 tells us, “One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.”

Again, God gave humanity permission to eat meat after the flood (Genesis 9:3). In the Old Testament law, the nation of Israel was commanded not to eat certain foods (Leviticus 11:1-47), but there was never a command against eating meat. Jesus declared all foods, including all kinds of meat, to be clean (Mark 7:19). As with anything, each Christian should pray for guidance as to what God would have him/her eat. Whatever we decide to eat is acceptable to God as long as we thank Him for providing it (1 Thessalonians 5:18). “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).

This is the link where I found this reply:

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Christian-vegetarian.html

Here is another's opinion:

http://theopolitical.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/was-jesus-a-__________/

There were some valid points made in both articles. Yes, a lot of people feel we cannot believe everything the Bible states. We have to take things with a grain of salt as it was written thousands of years ago and some of it's validity is always being questioned. Most will read what they want from it, and that's how it should be, because we have been endowed with free will to reason.

However, Jesus was raised Jewish and may have followed Jewish customs as he grew up. Also, I feel if he was a strict vegetarian someone would have clearly written this down, along the many other teachings that were presented.

Maybe they just didn't think it was a big deal back then, or possibly fish was all they could afford ... because meat may have been only for those that were more affluent ... or the poor used meat only as an offering.

Could it be nothing more then this?

Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment