Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Forgiveness vs Permission?

I had an ah-ha moment the other day.
 
I was taught by my spiritual teachers to ask permission before doing certain metaphysical things in the universe.
 
Basically, it's a way to see if the coast is clear ... no road blocks ahead. If there are road blocks, we need to see what they are and to make sure the road blocks weren't there for a major reason or if they have served the purpose but now they need to be removed. Also, by removing them, to verify any unseen events that could lead to any disaster ... for one or more. Kind of like removing a road warning "bridge out" sign and not verifying whether or not the bridge was still out.
 
In my ah-ha moment, I was watching a movie and this guy said: It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.
 
I thought: that was odd. Until I gave it more thought and then it made a lot of sense to me. 

It was logical.
 
One example: dealing with a road block that has been stubbornly placed on a path which may no longer serve a purpose. Maybe the bridge had been repaired but someone didn't want the road to be used. Removing this road block may take a stronger will that sees a brighter purpose for all and not just a selfish single one. By removing the road block, someone's feelings may get hurt, but not removing it could lead to more hardship for others.
 
Removing it, without permission, may bring about the need to say: I apologize and would hope you understand that this is not just for you; it had to be done for the good of many. In doing so, hopefully, it will sooth the ego and prevent people from behaving as if they had no compassion in anything that was done. 
 
However, accepting an apology or even offering one seems to be a difficult thing to do for numerous reasons. Sadly, I see this constantly as I watch the daily news. So much anger in the world, as well as arrogance, but little forgiveness.  

Anyway, it still makes sense to ask permission, whenever possible, as I was taught. Yet, I can see where asking forgiveness may be equally necessary.
 
I wonder if it's possible to ask permission to have more forgiveness in the world?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment