Saturday, July 26, 2014

Taboo: Politics, Religion and Sex

Taboo: forbidden, not talked about.

I remember being in my high school study hall in 1966 and a few students around me got into a discussion about religion. Someone asked me a question about my religion but I didn't have an answer.

Another student asked that we changed the subject. He told us he didn't like talking about his three major taboo topics because it normally invoked an argument, if not worse.

Curious to know, we asked him what were the three things he didn't like to discuss.

He said: politics, religion and sex.

Sadly, it seems some things never change. Throughout history we have had major judgments and wars with these subjects. Amazingly, we respected his wishes to change the subject. I just wish more people were this understanding and polite today. 

Why do we still have to be so barbaric?

We have internet friends who become internet enemies over these topics. 

It's amazing how we chat and laugh but when the "taboo" subjects arise the disrespect begins ... via abusive and vulgar name calling, hateful maligning, snide innuendos, and distorting facts. The only difference from our past, is we hide behind computers for safety as people mentally terrorize others. 

Yet, it still creates wars that causes loss of lives and property. For what? To prove something? Will we take that proof into eternity ... next lifetime? Did our ancestors?

Makes me wonder if our prejudices will eventually be removed by creating a world of no politics, religion and sex, among other prejudices, in order to remove arguments and wars.

Makes me wonder if hate will eventually destroy our planet because we couldn't remove our prejudices.

Makes me wonder if we didn't learned from our ancestor's history, when will we learn.

Makes me wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment