Monday, February 22, 2016

Free Higher Education Scammers?

I'm not for free higher education but I'm for reasonable higher education. The reason is due to people needing to have respect, appreciation and accomplishment.

This is why I feel this way. As I told my children, what I often saw, many times, with parents paying their children's way was those that did not appreciate the value of a dollar that is earned and spent wisely. They did not appreciate the cost of this higher education. They often took advantage of their parents' funds by quitting or not excelling. They often left universities with no jobs available or never used their degrees in the field they were educated in ... if at all.

My "conditions" with my children, to teach them to appreciate the value of hard work and the value of money, was to suggest they live at home, still help around the house, get a part time job to help pay for their tuition/school loans. In this manner, they would have the sense of accomplishment that it takes to keep one's nose to the grindstone. To appreciate the value of their time and efforts, something they wouldn't get by having everything handed to them.

I also feel that there are plenty of jobs in the world that don't need a higher education and still pays well. Neither my husband and I have a university degree but by hard work we climbed the ladder and still had very good incomes. Not huge incomes but enough to pay our bills and then some. He was even able to start his own business without a university degree.

We shouldn't get caught up in the flow that everything takes a university degree to achieve. My oldest daughter's husband has an associate degree in history. He's not a history teacher because he makes more money working in management at a power plant. My husband's son's wife is a manager at Publix and doesn't have a university degree.

I have plenty more similar stories and I'm sure others do to, or this picture wouldn't be around as long as it has. It's a 1902 Puck cartoon illustrating the prospect of too many college degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment