Wednesday, February 10, 2016

What is True Love?

Valentine's Day will be here in a few days and I thought I'd share something I had, originally, shared on my social media page back in January 2012. It was based on an email request from a young male friend who had asked me about love or what I thought it meant. I wrote him back with the below information of what I felt was the signs of true love based on what I had learned in my life.

~~~~~

1. It's being with someone you feel you care more about than yourself.

2. When you give her the last cookie on the plate. 

3. When you open a door for her even though she can do it herself.

4. When you kiss her goodnight before going to bed, even though you may be upset with her.

5. When you care enough to say I love you, several times a day, and mean it - even when you've been married for 50 years.

6. When she hurts and you want to take it away and you hurt because she doesn't want you to. (She doesn't want you to be hurt either.)

7. When you know your life would feel incomplete without her in it.

8. Knowing you can be angry with her but still love her with all your heart.

9. Giving her a spontaneous gift because it makes you more happy than what she may even feel in receiving it, but that doesn't matter.

10. When you can argue over money, kids or beliefs but never let it become disrespectful with name calling.

Of course, the above should be mutual, no matter what the partnership. A relationship is hard work and it takes both party's constant involvement to make it work. Communication is not only important, it is vital.

The course of true love doesn't run smoothly. Nothing should come between your love for one another. Many things will try to test it: money, family, friends, jobs, especially your egos.

However, if a relationship is constantly one-sided, that's your clue to get counseling or run in the opposite direction. I'm not saying to run at the first bit of adversity, however you should, instinctually, know when you are not "giving" out of mutual love, but feel more like you are being "taken" out of one-sided love.

Believe it or not, there really are more fish in the ocean, but you won't find out if you're constantly kept busy cleaning a dirty fish tank. 

~~~~~~

Lastly, I'd like to add that I had, hastily, written back to him to share some of my experiences, but I might have saved myself the effort if I had shared this perfect bible quote instead. 

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment