Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Why We Judge Ourselves Imperfect


When I was younger I stated, "no one's perfect." A teacher corrected me and said that "everyone is perfect in God's eyes."

Yes, I rolled my eyes. 

She said that God sees each individual as perfect because in each moment we have reach perfection from the moment before and it is all we can be. It is we that see the imperfection, in ourselves and others, because we are striving for the next moment and cannot appreciate the current moment we or others have become. We feel we all have room for improvement, or judge another by our standards, and He feels as if we have accomplished much and will continue to do so ... no judgment ... unconditional love. 

Okay, no more eye rolling. 

It made me think that if we could see people through the eyes of God, we would be more understanding and less condemning ... more helpful and less hateful ... more content and less miserable. 

After all, we are what we are. I cannot be more then I am, no more then any other, in each moment. As a friend of mine, Janelle, says: it is what it is. 

This makes me wonder if we could ever change our programming and the next time we see what we think is imperfection, we might consider sympathy or compassion for one who hasn't made it to our standards, who hasn't been raised up to our awareness, and be willing to lend a hand instead of pointing a finger ... because, after all, there could be someone looking down at us the same way. 

Yes, I understand that we don't see ourselves as perfect. We're only human to feel this way, especially when another commits atrocities towards society and we feel the hate inside towards them for not keeping up with our standards, falling down and possibly refusing to get up, as well as pushing our internal buttons by creating these negative feelings within us. How could they do this to us?! However, I wondered how I would feel if societies' hate were directed at me instead, because I fell off some proverbial pedestal. 

How could I possibly continue to love myself much less feel perfect? 

To err is human, to forgive is divine. 

This is where my teacher's idea about God made me understand salvation that so many talk about in religions. Even when we feel the lowest of lows, during our life, this concept made me realize that there is someone who really knows us ... someone who understands ... someone who cares ... someone who sees us perfect and loves us. 

Hmmm ... I just had an epiphany. I believe I know why we judge ourselves and others imperfect; subconsciously we are all continually striving to be like our Heavenly Father. 

To emanate what we see as perfect. 

To see things with His eyes. 

I wondered ... and then I saw this picture with the words: I'm an imperfect person, loved by a perfect God. 

I no longer wonder ... I know. 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment