Friday, May 2, 2014

History and Collective Thought

Sometimes, I wonder who makes those decisions of right and wrong and why? There's generally some sort of scare or logical reason we "must" do things a certain way and if not we may be made to feel "guilty" over not conforming to another's truth. We've seen this thoughout history in things like witch hunts, among other things, which means just because it's collective thought doesn't make it right or best. 

Which may be one reason I never breast fed, among other personal reasons, I raised both my daughters on plastic bottles. Some with plastic liners like this picture, which, thankfully, I found on the internet so you could see what I used. Yet, they both grew up intelligent women with generally good health (no life is illness free) even though plastic was used and warm milk was placed in the bottles. Today, we are advised it's wrong, among other things that may be deemed unworthy because we are more "aware."

My mother use glass bottles, because of the time period, and couldn't nurse either due to medical problems. They didn't have all the formulas back then, that they did when my daughters were born, but I grew up and survived it.

What protected me?

What protected my daughters?

I wouldn't suggest someone shouldn't breast feed, if that's what one feels guided to do, but is breast feeding being overstated due to some unknown reason, to create fear, guilt or some misguided morality, when history dictates otherwise? I've heard it's the first milk that comes through which is vital for the baby but what about all those women who breast fed other's babies, throughout history, because they had already been nursing a child and the baby's mother couldn't produce milk or died in child birth? Many of those babies survived.

History tells us many things.

Who should one believe?

For instance, back in the nineties we had a collective thought going around that cooking with aluminum could cause serious health conditions but it has since been debunked by science. 

This makes me wonder what fear factors we have today that could be eventually debunked as well. Apparently, knowing better doesn't always make us do better.

Yes, it's better to be safe than sorry, but I've learned that collective thought isn't always right, best or safe and we could be buying into another's agenda which may have no validity.

And, it appears that many follow collective thought like a school of fish changing direction without consciously questioning anything ... it's right ... it's wrong ... it's right ... it's wrong. 

History tells us that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment