Monday, May 26, 2014

"Happy" Memorial Day?

A friend of mine said it didn't feel right to say the word "Happy" on Memorial Day. I felt she was right... it made sense to me too. What's to be happy over such a sorrowful day? However, guidance nagged at me to think about it... so I did. I wanted to make sense out of being happy on our day of mourning.

In general, our American Memorial Day wasn't always called Memorial Day. Until 1868, it was called Decoration Day, which was established to honor the fallen Union soldiers of the Civil War. The first Memorial Day ceremony was held at Arlington National Cemetery, in honor of the 20,000 deceased Union soldiers who were laid to rest there. It wasn't until 1971 that Memorial Day was proclaimed to be a U.S. national holiday.

For that partial history I've given above, regarding the USA's Memorial Day, I think I've come to terms with being happy. I'm happy that we have such a day. I'm happy in their service to their country. Without people like this, where would our country be today? With this knowledge, I'm happy in my mourning, of days gone by, because of the good memories they gave family and friends. I'm happy they fought for us and we are allowed to recognize them on this special day.

It's the only way I could reconcile the word happy for this particular day. Also, we are taught, by religious standards, to rejoice in their lives. That would mean to be happy.

As Daniel Webster once said, "Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored."

I honor them in return by rejoicing in remembering their deeds. 

Additionally, the first time I heard TAPS played was on base at the end of the day. It is played at military funerals to recognize the end of life well served. It is a solemn yet beautiful message I've always appreciated. 

~~~
TAPS (original words)
Day is done, gone the sun
From the lakes, from the hills,
from the sky
All is well, safely rest
God is nigh.
Fading light dims the sight
And a star gems the sky,
gleaming bright
From afar, drawing near
Falls the night.
Thanks and praise for our days
Neath the sun, neath the stars,
neath the sky
As we go, this we know
God is nigh.
~~~

God is nigh. Based on my current awareness, this I know without a doubt. For this, I am happy too.

Being happy over our mourning seems a strange set of emotions but I'm hoping that those who have gone before us are happy and just may not want us to be miserable.

Be happy... let this day be happy too. As our experts say, happiness raises the vibrations in us and earth.

I found my happy in this. I hope everyone  will too. Nowadays we all have to find our happy wherever and whenever we can. I can also be happy that guidance gave me that push to think about this more.


A beautiful story about Taps: Taps The Bugler's Cry-The Origin of Sounding Taps: http://youtu.be/Nhtr5J00ntA

No comments:

Post a Comment