Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Needs Of The Many

It's unreasonable to believe everyone will be educated or sane in all matters. Just as its unreasonable to believe people will be morally responsible and not hurt others.

That's why necessary laws are made, even if any of them may go against someone's personal beliefs, because as Spock said, in the movie The Wrath of Khan: "Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Captain Kirk responded: "Or the one."

Growing up in a big family taught me that not everything will be or should be my way. I learned to deal with many disappointments but I also learned to get over it. Maturity taught me that I may not have been privy to information that my parents had in order for them to make their decisions.

It's something I try to keep in mind when things happen that cause discord within me. Am I privy to all vital data or will newly revealed information change my opinion?

Will I take the time to fully educate myself or will I react unreasonably or illogically?

Will I be able to understand, and accept, that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ... or the one (me)?

No comments:

Post a Comment