Friday, December 28, 2012

Medusa and Pegasus: From Bad Comes Good

I have often said that we are never to old to learn and I feel I learn something new every day. Today was no exception. I discovered how Pegasus came about in mythology. I may have heard it before but I don't recall.

I have always enjoyed stories of Greek and Roman Gods and Goddesses and today I read about the "birth" of Pegasus - the winged horse - whose parents were Poseidon and Medusa. This story had me thinking .... hmmm.

Sad to say, based on legend, Medusa was once beautiful, yet turned into her deadly looks out of jealousy and hate by Athena when she caught Poseidon raping her. Yes, the story said raping.

Also, according to legend (one version), Medusa gave birth, through her severed neck, to Pegasus (and Chrysaor), who was a spawn of Poseidon through said rape. This birth occurred when she was slain by Perseus who used Athena's shield (among other things) to do so.

Now, I am beginning to think poor Medusa. Raped by Poseidon, turned into a vile woman by Athena, and murdered by Perseus with the help of Athena. Doesn't sound as if she had a lot going for her ... unless you count beautiful Pegasus ... because of the hatefulness and jealousy of the "gods." Just proves one should always be on their toes, as you don't know who you will anger or why. Someone "out there" might not like you.

Anyway, you can read more about this on the internet, if you want. I just found this to be an interesting example of something good that was turned bad and coming from bad she created good.

Which, of course may be an assumption on my part that Pegasus was good. After all, it is just another mythological story.

I have also learned in life that we will know what we need to know when we need to know it. Today, I realized, was my day to learn about this story. To me it is just another example of someone's wild (and possibly drugged induced?) imagination: a winged horse being born from the neck (blood) of a snake headed woman? Hmmmm....

Picture on urn showing the birth of Pegasus from Medusa's death.





No comments:

Post a Comment