Friday, April 18, 2014

Life: Turning Negatives Into Positives

Let's face it, we will all have what we consider negative situations occurring throughout life. History shows us that it's very much a part of life, whether we like it or not. 

I have had more then my "fair share" of them, so I know this first hand. Many of them, I felt, were so dark, that I thought I'd never move beyond it. Yet, I eventually did, and only because I allowed myself to keep moving forward out of the darkness. 

Long before Dory, in Finding Nemo, suggested to "just keep swimming," I had already made, determinedly and patiently, "moving forward" as a way to help me.

So, I thought about sharing my philosophy about this because it's helped me many times in learning to handle my negativity. It's all about attitude and being as "realistically positive" as possible; along with the help of positive and caring family and friends; which is generally the best way to combat negativity. 

I've learned that some things can be ignored, some things have to be met head on and some things need outside intervention but everything should be done for a positive outcome. If not, do all one can to remove oneself from the situation as best as possible. The object is to change the negative attitude to a better one. 

Furthermore, even if the positive steps one uses may seem minor, or slightly obscure, everything helps ... use them. 

For instance, instead of saying "oh no, not again!" ... with a depressive emotion, which may set your mind into relinquishing your control over a situation ... cancel out the negative with a positive by saying something like "here we go again!" ... with the emotion of what can I do to better this situation. 

Place positive notes around your room to constantly remind you of your goals, too. 

This turns one's thinking into focusing more toward a positive direction. Resolving issues instead of being buried by them. Planning and working towards a better outcome.

I think of life as the same feelings of riding a roller coaster. We can take those ups and downs with a better attitude. Either fear it or know it will be over in no time ... because you (or someone) are working to resolve it.

Hang in there and hold on tight.

Remember, we may not be able to control every event that occurs in life but what we can learn to do is control our attitude about it. We can learn to use our knowledge and instincts to guide us too. We can learn to separate ourselves from what doesn't make us happy or put on our battle gear and prepare for the bumpy road ahead. 

Similar to an explorer on an adventurous journey not knowing what may be around the bend but doing everything to be prepared for it with the right equipment and guides ... and the right attitude.

So, when you feel yourself in that downward roller coaster slide, and fear starts to set in, scream or cry if you must, but shake it off as soon as you can. 

Don't feed the negative monster any more than necessary. 

Tell that negative part of life: not this time, I've got better plans to make. Then start making them ... using possible goals ... one day at a time ... one foot in front of the other. Don't look too far ahead while working towards your goals because it could become overwhelming.  Look towards the next hour or the next day. 

Before you know it, you'll be looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about. I honestly cannot begin to tell you how many times I've heard this from people, much less experienced it many times myself. 

Remember, in the majority of life's trials ... "this too will pass" ... yet, not always as we think it should be.  

Try not to play the blame game ... it's a waste of precious time. 

It doesn't hurt to pray for guidance too, but don't forget to listen for it, because meditating can be a wonderful stress reliever.

No comments:

Post a Comment