Friday, April 4, 2014

Moms of Autistic Children Suing Disney?

This morning on the news, I heard that moms of autistic children were suing Disney due to the changes they made last year regarding disability favoritism.

I honestly think people sue at the drop of a hat anymore. The only ones anyone should be angry with are the many who took advantage of that system forcing Disney to change it. Over six years of working for Disney and over forty years of going to Disney showed me the major misuse of the system that required this change. I saw young adults renting wheel chairs, for one, just to get to the front of the attraction line. If I had eyes and ears to see things, certainly Disney did too.

This is a very good blog (link below) to read about taking your child to Disney that has Autism. She's a nurse with a disable child who is acting like an adult by her suggestions instead of being a spoiled brat having a meltdown along with the child ... or instead of the child.

I wasn't surprised to read the things she says she witnessed. The things I've seen at the parks, when it comes to adults and their children, I've seriously felt like putting the adult in time out. It's no wonder they can't control their children's meltdown when they can't even control their own. Not all of them, thank goodness,  but enough to have me take note of it. It made me wonder who really wanted the favoritism when I saw the child completely oblivious to anything while playing a video game or napping as the parent was angrily cursing an innocent cast member because of the new rule.

Jeez! Really! We ALL spend LOTS of money to go to Disney. Please think about that while in a tirade ruining the surrounding atmosphere because of it. Disney does so many things for so many people and for many reasons. Not everyone will be happy all the time but they do try to make it a happy place to visit.

Anyway, my curiosity had me do an internet search about the lawsuit and I came across this very positive blog, which I mentioned above, to help parents plan and prepare ... from one in the know.

http://www.disneylovinspectrummom.com/2013/10/disneys-disability-access-service-card.html?m=1

I also noticed where Kathy, with assistance, made a cute video. I tracked it down and here is the link for it too.

Disney's (GAC) GUEST ASSISTANCE CARD VS. (DAS) DI…: http://youtu.be/Zwj7ipm3omY

Preparation is the key to success.

2 comments:

  1. Charlene, thank you for sharing my posts, especially the one with the video I helped to create in order to help young children adapt to the new system at the Disney Parks. I hope that it will help many families!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy for writing it. My youngest daughter doesn't have a blogger account but I sent my blog to her. This is what she said: Awesome blog Kathy!!! You are so right! As a parent to an incredibly beautiful and smart autistic child, (biased) parents have to fight so much for their rights...for special education...for understanding...it seems the constant fighting possibly puts us into such a defensive posture when it comes to our children that we want to attack when changes are made to something that was put into place to help us as parents of special needs children. So we come out teeth bearing claws extended as "here we go again...I have to fight for my child" instead of taking a moment to breathe in the changes and see how they are really going to effect us. Kudos! Love it!!!

      Delete