Friday, July 12, 2013

Don't Tread On Me....


Let me begin with a definition (below) of what I was told this morning while meditating, regarding "someone's" opinion of me that is so far from the truth it's ridiculous. I would have normally ignored this statement but it's not the first time "hearing" it, so I decided to investigate further. 

Definition: Passive-aggressive behavior is behavior that expresses aggression in an indirect, passive way. This includes procrastination, hostile jokes (though jokes in general are recognized as a method of expressing veiled hostility), stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate/repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.

I am truly amazed at those who misconstrue my kindness and caring attitude as a sign of weakness or a sign of being passive aggressive. Anyone who knows, truly knows my life, will know this is far from the truth. 

I didn't get through this life, with all the many things I've been through, by being a pushover. Anyone who cannot understand this hasn't spent the time getting to know me ... that is their error. Those that do know me, knows better. 

Yes, I may allow people to push me to a certain extent before pushing back. I cannot help it that they didn't take the time to understand who I am before doing so, and that, just possibly, instead of being passive aggressive, I'm only giving them enough rope to hang themselves. 

When they feel this constriction - they should always remember - they allowed it. 

Under the above aforementioned circumstances, might one then ask if a rattlesnake should be considered passive aggressive? Absolutely not! No more then any other doing what is considered an action of survival after warnings. It does what its instinct tells it to do for said survival. 

Most know that the rattle is there for a reason. If we misconstrue the rattle (e.g., if we don't take the time to know another), is it the snake's fault? It watches us before striking. It warns us before striking. Did we allow it to strike anyway? Was it being kind enough just to observe and wait before striking? Why did it need to strike?

When we don't know something ourselves, we are normally guided by others who do. Instinct and intuition can also be utilized. Why aren't they? Has the density of our planet, our minds, become such that we block ourselves from any warning signs? 

Or, have we become careless due to not caring? Allowing the strike to occur?

Yes, we can ignore the signs but we shouldn't blame another for doing what comes naturally within all of us. 

Don't tread on me...




 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment