Friday, August 22, 2014

I'm An Indigenous American

Yes, I'm an indigenous (native) American. Here's why I feel this way.  

I came across an ancient, history timeline and saw this: "15,000 B.C. Migrations across Bering Straits into the Americas."

This got me thinking.

Based on this timeline, these would be the original people who migrated to the Americas and by no means indigenous to the area, because indigenous means: originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native.

So, anyone, of any race, who is born in any country, regardless of ancestral lineage, would be an indigenous (native). Anyone not born in it ... migrated to it ... would be an alien. As an alien is defined as: a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.

That would make all our ancient ancestors, to the North and South Americas, aliens (foreigners) because they were not originally native to the land, based on current scientific and historical data. That would make anyone born in any country, even currently, indigenous (native).

Simply stated: since immigration still occurs today, this reasoning should clear up any confusion regarding the meaning of indigenous or alien people to any country. 

I was born in Virginia, in the USA, which is in the North American continent. I'm an indigenous person to the area not an alien. I may not be an original, or an aboriginal,  indigenous person but I am a current one.

It makes sense to me ... it's logical. I'm a native American ... born and raised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment