Friday, March 11, 2016

Question Everything

When I was a teen, my dad taught me an important lesson that I still use over 50 years later. He said that I should question everything and don't believe everything I read or hear and only half of what I see. Another thing he would discourage is hearsay. He would ask me if I heard it from that person's mouth or another's.

It's a great philosophy, especially in today's times with all the deceitful memes and websites. We should research to the best of our abilities and never assume. I'm seeing people jump on the proverbial bandwagon because it's catering to their wants, regardless of it being factual. I've caught myself doing the same and have to really push at myself not to get caught up in that flow.

Lastly, it took my "awakening" to teach me another valuable lesson: Don't believe everything you think. Yes, we have a right to question our thoughts and feelings too. Why do I feel this way about this person? Why am I belittling or berating myself? Is any of this logical?

Remember, we have been shown, thoughout history, that even people in authority can be wrong at times. Question everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment