Sunday, June 1, 2014

Crying Wolf: Gullibility and Indifference

There's a fable about a boy who was bored and cried wolf to the villagers to trick them into believing something that wasn't true. After several times of doing this, the villagers became indifferent to his cry of wolf and didn't show up. This led to a very serious consequence. A wolf had appeared and attacked the sheep. The boy learned a valuable and costly lesson that night.

The moral of the story was not to purposefully deceive people because they could become indifferent. When you want them to believe you, they won't.

You can read more about the fable at this link.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

The phrase, "cry wolf" was something I grew up remembering because it taught me that teasing with lies could bring about a serious negative situation.

I had a friend who was like that ... he even called me gullible. One day he said something serious and I didn't believe him. It made me realize how important this fable was due to experiencing it first hand. I had allowed myself to become indifferent without realizing it.

I'm just glad it didn't cost me my life. 

This is what I see going on today with the making of false reports and videos on the internet. Some think it's funny to be deceptive. They, who are being mean spirited, place themselves on a pedestal because of their boredom without understanding the karmic reaction to their misdeeds. 

I've begun to see the indifference in video comments. Things like: phoney, photoshopped, fake ... and those being the kinder words. Is it all of these things or are we becoming condition to not believing anything because we're tired of the continual regurgitation of fabrications?

Even in blogs the deceit continues. Some people in the media report without validation or accuracy expecting belief. I see knowledgeable comments, to negate the falsity, but others avoid the messages. The confusion becomes outrageous. The debates become heated and sometimes vulgar. 

Is this due to the frustrations of dealing with deliberate lying? Is this the dummying down that so many speak of? Is this our gullibility being ridiculed or mocked to the point it's creating indifference, rebellion, or bullying because we're tired of being duped?

Where will it take us in the future?

Will it affect everyone when something major happens and our indifference negates the truth because of dealing with so many lies ... costing us dearly?

Will our ability to sense the truth be negated?

Will those of knowing do all they can to protect our ability to know?

Yes, I wonder where all this current insanity of "crying wolf" will karmically lead us. Time will tell ... because the future is not just their karma ... we're all part of it. 

In the meantime, I'll continue with my ultimate question to the universe while asking for truth ... which could be SOMEONE'S truth but not necessarily THE truth. 

Is it God's truth?

2 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I'm teaching myself to be practical and truthful! In this world, people need, I definitely do believe they NEED, more people who they can trust. I see the same comments in the comment section, people calling others liar, and it's a shame when the person is actually telling the truth. Nowadays, I can understand why people want to turn their faces to proven and physical facts! But the thing is is that not everything can be proven through physical means. Take a person who is so sure that something is wrong with them (ill or whatnot) and they go to a doctor but the doctor tells them that all the test are negative. Yet this person is so certain! They visit another doctor, and get the same results. The third time around, a doctor does spot something unusual. I've heard cases like this. It's a very sad thing when deception is clouding the mind into mistrust and paranoia. I feel that if more and more people could be trusted, and led a life with integrity, people will began to trust one another again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are many frustrated with being lies to that they may feel all are this way. It cause discontent.

    I agree that people may sense something is wrong that a doctor cannot find, yet there are those that are deemed hypochondriacs who fear many ailments that aren't true. They can manifest an illness because of it. A person's state of mind is just as important in treating them as physical evaluation. Leave no stone unturned in searching for truth.

    ReplyDelete