Friday, August 28, 2015

Reflections: Teachers and Students

As another school year begins, I began to think of my grandchildren starting school and the difficulties they may experience trying to get an education. I thought I'd share a few things that I've learned, throughout my life, regarding teachers and students. It's only my perspective but it's from being on both sides of the fence. Hopefully, it might help.

1) Teachers must remember where they were when they were learning and come down to the student's level in order to bring them up to the teacher's level. Be patient.

2) Teachers shouldn't make students feel ashame to question what they don't understand. To me, ignorance is more shameful.

3) Teachers shouldn't assume that everyone will understand them. Sometimes, it's not the student's ability to learn, but the teacher's ability to teach.

4) Teachers do make mistakes too. Students should keep all their graded papers until they receive their report card. No one wants a D if they've earned a B.

5) Teachers don't know everything and students shouldn't assume they do. Cooperation and intuition may resolve problems faster than bad attitudes.

6) Teachers are never too old to learn. We can even learn from our students while they're learning from us. I know I have ... many times.

7) Teachers and students should be polite, respectful, understanding and humble. It's a win-win situation when negativity isn't part of teaching or learning.

Most importantly, everyone wants to be able to survive the school year. As Robert Frost once said: Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment