Friday, March 14, 2014

Entitlement? Really?

It still amazes me that some people have this feeling of entitlement ... a belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges.

There's a fine line between equality of rights versus I want it even though I haven't worked for it, much less earned it, just because others have it.

I have a problem of the attitude: I'm asking, I deserve it, but you say no? What?! How dare you say no to me?!

That attitude.

My oldest daughter would get upset with me when she came to me for something and I had to say no. I told her, one day, to come to me with your request expecting a no and if you get a yes, you'll be happy.

Later, when I heard the saying, "God answers all prayers but sometimes the answer may be no," it made me think of what I told her.

Sure we can ask, we should ask, but we shouldn't always expect the answer will be yes, especially when the one asked may not be willing or able to respond that way. We don't always understand what's going on in their mind. We don't always want to know, either, because that may keep us from asking in the first place.

Right?

I think I would prefer to think it will be no, that way I'm not disappointed. It's what I expected, so I didn't allow myself to be set up to be upset. I learned this at a young age, being from a big family, and it kept me emotionally uninvolved with my wants ... learning that not all my wishes will be or should be fulfilled.

However, if the answer was yes ...  whoopee ... now, I'm happy!

Yes, one should ask but not expect or feel entitled. Keeping one's emotions in check promotes a healthier attitude. It keeps one from feeling angry which can lead to hate because they felt they were entitled to a yes but got a no and now wants revenge. Jeez!

Maybe it could be a yes but you haven't asked the right person yet. It doesn't pay to be angry with the one that says no, to me that's just a waste of time and energy that could be spent in finding the one that may say yes ... if it's important enough to do so.

Unless one prefers to be angry and hateful ... I sure don't. I see so many people today that are stressed to the max all due to their concept of entitlement ... with or without justification ... all because they have been told no ... over what they feel is unfair ... over what they feel is wrong.

Yet, they are being angry in their impotence in handling it and spend time complaining instead of pursuing the person or thing that can provide a yes ... not by blowing themselves or others up over it but by using intellect and legal recourse.

And ... if it's still a no than better luck next time ... because ... God answers all prayers but sometimes the answer is no. Remember?

Maybe the no is to teach us something.

Maybe the no means we're not ready for the yes ... yet.

Maybe the timing is off.

Why should I go and spend fifty dollars on a pair of designer jeans, just to fulfill someone's wants, not necessarily needs, when money was needed for groceries, etc.?

Now ... apply that reasoning on a business level .... or country level ... or a universal level.

Your feelings of entitlement may slowly wash away when you see the bigger picture.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment